Thursday, March 8, 2012

the australia cushion ...

It's finished and already claimed ...


Thanks to many words of wisdom from blogland over the last week, I worked out how to do two things that I hadn't done before ~ thread sketch properly (using a darning foot) and make (and insert) piping.


The piping was fun to make, and not as hard as I thought to sew in (I read this tutorial before I started). The key was the piping foot (see this post for more details) which gave me plenty of room to sew the piping onto the fabric without seeing any stitches.


I'm really happy with the result ~ it means something at our place, and adds a bit of home to the lounge. Above all, it was fun to make, and great to learn some new sewing skills.


The ocean blue swizzle fabric I used to make this cushion is currently on sale (along with some other fabric designs and cushion covers) in my shop ~ click here!

More creativity here, each Thursday.

12 comments:

CurlyPops said...

It looks amazing with that red piping Nic!

Unknown said...

This is so cool! Well done! Love the way you did the piping, very creative:)

Jennie said...

Awesome cushion! Hooray for learning about all those extra machine accessories.

That piping tutorial is wonderful, I used it last month to make a cushion. I had read a couple tutorials, but one of them scared me because it didn't say anywhere to leave a turning gap or open the zipper before sewing the back and front! Wonder how many swear words that tutorial has inspired!

Jennie said...

This is gorgeous Nic!
The red really pops on the blue and white.XX

lamina@do a bit said...

Gorgeous cushion... love the piping... I'm a bit scared to try that but you make it look so easy :)

Lotti said...

The cushion is amazing ... love the colours, looks so nice with the red and blue.

Beck said...

Aren't you clever?! I love it, but then I'm a sucker for Australiana, and your beautiful fabric! That piping looks pretty snazzy, I'm impressed. Good luck getting your cushion back, looks like someone loves it too! xo

Kate said...

It's perfect Nic!
I love the red against your fabric.

Thea said...

Looks fantastic Nic! Love the blue and red combo. x

Lea said...

Love it! Love your fabric and it's great to learn new skill. Piping is on my list of things to learn!

Jo's Place said...

Beautiful!

Caroline said...

Not sure which is cuter - the cushion or your little guy. Nice work (on both accounts!).