Monday, July 2, 2012

printing :: with thrifted screens

Yesterday, at Camberwell Market, I managed to pick up another two old screens for $5 each. These screens were originally made for printing labels for cleaning products and cosmetics ~ pre digital printing! The guy selling them bought a pallet of them ages ago, and thinks they're at least 20 years old. (P.S. How cute is my new little squeegee?)


Screen number one is an old detergent screen. I bought it more for the condition of the screen (for reuse) than the design, but then it occurred to me that an old detergent label might be interesting on a tea towel (just for me). The screens contain finer mesh than I normally use for fabric printing, but are able to be printed onto fabric. The combination of the yellow ink and the course linen resulted in an OK print. If I print it again, I will use a darker colour.


Screen number two was a label for shampoo. Again, I chose it for the condition of the screen, but it has a nice little flower design. I masked out all of the ugly shampoo related text so that I was left with just the flowers.

This time I chose rose red ink to print with. The design is quite fine, but printed well onto fabric and even better onto (recycled) cardboard. I think I will be printing a few cards with this pretty design.


All in all, it was $10 well spent! Wishing you all a good week (especially if you're starting the school holiday madness fun like me! More market finds over at Sophie's blog.



8 comments:

CurlyPops said...

The floral design is gorgeous. Great score Nic!

elflyn said...

These are fabulous!
Go the vintage :)

Unknown said...

Awesome find!

Christina Lowry said...

Love these screens. When I was at Uni I studied lithography in first year printmaking. There were these huge, smooth marble blocks/tablets that we drew on and printed with. Do you know what I mean? There were several that we weren't allowed to use though, which still had original designs on them for labels of tinned food, which were probably over a hundred years old. They had been discovered dumped in the Brisbane river from memory.

I think my Mum still uses that dishwashing liquid too. It's a white bottle with a yellow or green lid and the 'label' is printed directly onto the plastic. I remember it from my childhood too. :)

BOB & MABEL said...

They are a great find, it would be hard to get rid of the designs.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous finds!! I really love both the designs, the results are lovely!
Have a great week!

lisa stubbs said...

What fab finds nick! I love the yellow on the linen makes it look more vintage, just been enjoying your lovely blog, very inspiring x

Bijou Sugar-Socks said...

ohhhh u scored! those screens are so versatile now :) love both designs :)