Monday, July 9, 2012

recipe :: salted caramel chocolate slice

It's been a while since I've shared a recipe on this blog, but I could not resist showing what I made yesterday ...


The title of the recipe says it all ~ what's not to love! I have adapted this recipe slightly from the original one, which I found in an Australian Woman's Weekly cookbook.


This slice is made in three stages, but first you need to: preheat the oven to 180 degrees C; then, grease and line a 20cm x 30cm pan

Stage One ~ the base 

125g chopped unsalted butter
155g chopped dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70% Cocoa)
1 egg
2/3 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
1/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted

Stir butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat until smooth. Cool.
Beat the egg and sugar in a bowl until thick and creamy. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture and sifted flours. Spread mixture evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Don't worry if it doesn't seem completely cooked at this stage, as it has to go back into the oven later.

Stage Two ~ the salted caramel filling

395g can of sweetened condensed milk
30g butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
2 teaspoons of sea salt

Stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and becomes caramel in colour. Be careful to ensure the mixture does not catch and burn on the bottom of the saucepan ~ mix and/or adjust heat accordingly. Pour filling over the chocolate base and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before refrigerating until cold.

Stage Three ~ the chocolate glaze

185g chopped dark chocolate
50g chopped unsalted butter

Stir chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat until smooth. Spread the chocolate glaze over the cold filling and base. Spread glaze with a spatula, then tap pan on the bench for an even surface.


Refrigerate until set (a couple of hours), then cut into small pieces as this slice is delicious but very rich!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.


I will be adding this recipe to the little list of recipes I have shared on the sidebar to the right of this post. Enjoy!


5 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

I think this one wouldn't even last a full day in our household. I like the salty touch you've added.

sweet emmelie said...

wow, wee, that looks scrumptious indedd!!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Oh boy, oh boy. This has my name written all over it! I NEED to make it.

Anonymous said...

I made this! It was so Delish and very very very very very popular at a recent cocktail party I held. I made a different topping, using white chocolate and oil instead.
Thanks for the recipe and great pics!

Peta said...

I made this yesterday - I made it with a 4 year old so was distracted & I accidentally put in three quarters of a cup of SR flour in the base and a quarter of a cup of plain flour. So the base isn't as dense as in your pic. But oh Lordy - it's still good! Thank you, will be making again. Nice and quick, too.